Science Magazine’s April 29th issue carried an article by Harvard and University of Texas researchers with the title above. NPEs (Nonpracticing entities) are now filing ten times as many patent infringement actions as they did ten years ago. According to the article, NPEs are firms that generate no products but amass patent portfolios for the sake of "enforcing" intellectual property "rights." This suing of cash-rich firms is shown in the article to have a negative impact on innovation activity at the targeted firms.
Because of AIA (America Invents Act), firms may now defend themselves against "junk" patents through filing Inter Partes Petitions with the US Patent Office. Unfortunately, this is expensive and most cases end in settlement which encourages further infringement filings by "trolls."
The Science magazine article suggests creation of a mechanism ("advance screening") to weed out low quality patent lawsuits.
Expert witnesses need to be aware that their clients may be on either side of such a dispute. I suggest that decisions about accepting cases require knowledge of the parties and law firms involved through similar advanced screening by a prospective expert.

Comments

08/02/2016 1:40pm

nice.

You have an ego problem? Fix it. I learn to fix my own problem. I know that spending time in God’s presence doesn't always fix our problems, but it will fix your perspective, giving you a new way to see your problems. My mom keeps telling to me that she can't promise to fix all my problems but she can promise that she will be with me forever. I believe that saying sorry doesn't fix every problem. I know that a lot people getting comfortable with that word.

01/14/2017 5:42am

Apexatropin Then congratulations, you have handed the first Apexatropin test for fitness. B mi your body mass index is an correct and. http://guidemesupplements.com/apexatropin-scam-or-fake/

08/02/2016 1:56pm

There are thousands of sites on the internet and all in all definitely provide information on the results of each article, but the article on this site different from the others. The article was very detailed and easily understandable.

02/16/2017 3:09am

Now I have a lot of work with patents! And a lot of problems too)

02/22/2017 4:56am

I hope we will be able to solve this problem soon. At least we are informed about it now.

This is a long time struggle that would never ends. You should safe your patent before the troll would attack!

06/21/2017 6:58am

I have read the article, '
The Growing Problem of Patent Trolling' in Science Magazine’s April edition. This was putting light on the patent infringement actions of NPEs and one of the must read articles who want to know about this topic.

06/29/2017 10:57pm

I think patent trolling is helpful to protect the ownership of our own goods and services. It comes under the intellectual rights and almost all people possess the complete ownership of the intellectual rights. Keep sharing!